AMT’s guidance technology is proving valuable in a wider range of underground mining applications – eg. as the central technology in new innovative coal mining methods and as enabling technology in advanced high production potash mining applications.
The MGS utilises a specific version of the Northrop Grumman LN270 inertial navigation system which is supplied by AMT and has been field proven over many years for both performance and reliability.
The MGS maintains the same enclosure style, size and mounting footprint as the MK4 Highwall Guidance System Miner Module but with significantly upgraded electronics/processing unit and redesigned system architecture. All system processing is now centralised in the MGS thereby eliminating the need for separate off-machine data processing, communication and operator display software and reducing the reliance on the off-machine data link.
The Mining Guidance System boasts the following major features:
- Standardised hardware with customised firmware to suit each specific mining application
- Utilises AMT-supplied and supported high-performance and field proven inertial navigation (INS) technology
- Incorporates a short duration total discharge energy storage unit which allows the INS to be at full navigation performance in about 30 seconds after power up (under normal mining conditions)
- All processing, file storage, data communication and display functionality is centralised in the MGS module located on the mining machine.
- Allows for tight integration with the mining control system and external devices for advanced automation and closed loop control of the mining process.
- Advanced multi-client web-based graphical interface which is customised for each mining application
- User access level control of the web interface – for example
- Unauthenticated – view main display pages only
- Operator – Unauthenticated access + limited access to system state buttons and basic inputs
- Surveyor – Operator access + input of mine plan data and export of as-mined data
- Admin – Surveyor access + full access to system configuration including password management.
- Diagnostic – Admin access + low level system diagnostics (for remote technical support by AMT support engineers)
- Firmware updates, data upload, configuration file import/export are via a convenient web interface
- In-built maintenance/licence management features via the web interface for convenient user-level management including licence transfer between MGS units
- Advanced on-board diagnostics and remote access facilities